Introduction to Software Engineering:
Software engineering is the study and an application of engineering to the design, development, and maintenance of software. The Bureau of Labor Statistics’ definition is “Research, design, develop, and test operating systems-level software, compilers, and network distribution software for medical, industrial, military, communications, aerospace, business, scientific, and general computing applications.”
Typical formal definitions of software engineering are:
- “the systematic application of scientific and technological knowledge, methods, and experience to the design, implementation, testing, and documentation of software”;
- “the application of a systematic, disciplined, quantifiable approach to the development, operation, and maintenance of software”;
- “an engineering discipline that is concerned with all aspects of software production”;
- and “the establishment and use of sound engineering principles in order to economically obtain software that is reliable and works efficiently on real machines
Software engineering normally lies under the discipline of computer science. It deals with the making of software and OS for computer systems. In Pakistan this field is also growing very rapidly. In coming future it will also become one of the main branches of engineering like civil and mechanical. With software permeating virtually all aspects of our work in our society, a software Engineering graduate has the option to work in many different sectors such as telecommunications, finance, health care, manufacturing, retailing, security, transport. Other engineering areas like aeronautical, automotive, building, electrical, etc. also have increasing needs for software engineering. The entertainment industry with video games and movie animation also has a large demand for Software Engineers.
As a Software Engineer you will be a qualified professional involved in the technical work of designing, coding, and testing large software products. You will also be responsible for tasks such as directing projects, managing teams, estimating costs and resources, assessing business plans, reviewing proposals and suggesting innovations. The growth of information technology has given rise to many careers and computer software engineering is one of the careers that one can pursue in this field. A computer software engineer deals exclusively with the software part of the computer. Their function is to develop, design and assess software and all the systems that a computer uses to function. The demand for software engineers is high at the moment because of the advancement of IT. To be able to work confidently in this career one needs at least a degree. A keen interest in computers will help you grow in this career.
Scope of Software Engineering in Pakistan:
Pakistan is included amongst one of those countries which have highest demand for software engineers at the moment because of the advancement of IT and its applications. To be able to work confidently in this career. In the passage of time ranging from the last decade Pakistan has created a wide market and growth in the software engineering department including both private and government sectors. According to a US technical magazine, Software Engineering is the fastest growing job in the world and is likely to become the most paid job near 2020. Software Engineering is in high demand in the private sector in Pakistan. Low economy firms employ a high number of software engineers to carry out data handling jobs. New websites in Pakistan has also created new job opportunities for software engineers. The continuous expansion in the IT sector of Pakistan will surely saturate the engineering industry with Software Engineers. Although not at the first priority of many students, software engineering is one of the most promising fields to start your career.
The average salary for a Software Engineer is $10,765 per year. Most people move on to other jobs if they have more than 10 years’ experience in this career.
Top Computer Science Universities in Pakistan:
- COMSATS Institute of Information Technology, Islamabad
- FAST University (National University of Computer and Emerging Sciences), Islamabad
- Qurtuba University, D.I.Khan
- Baluchistan University of Information Technology and Management Sciences, Quetta
- Lahore University of Management Sciences, (LUMS)
- GIKI ( ghulam Ishaq Khan University)
- National University Of Sciences And Technology (NUST), Islamabad
- University Of Engineering And Technology (UET)
- Institute of Business Administration (IBA), Karachi
- Air University, Islamabad