Project A: Job Interview Project
Scenario: You are a new project manager and you need to get to a job interview in Doha one week from today at The Sheraton Hotel. You have all the knowledge of executing a project and if you can make it to the Interview on time, you will definitely get the job.
You will need proper clothing for the interview and will have to decide how you will travel from your home to interview.
- Create a Work Breakdown Structure.
- Use the proper format up to 3 levels maximum.
- From the work packages estimate the cost for each step.
- Estimate how much it will cost you to arrive at the Sheraton for your interview.
Project B: Wedding Planner
A Princess has hired you to plan her wedding to a well-known Prince. They are both very busy but not very organized and have no idea how to plan a wedding. You must plan all the major activities and prepare a plan that they will follow.
As a Project Manager you need to do the following:
- Create a Work Breakdown Structure, mentioning the tasks needed to execute the project.
- Use the proper format with three levels maximum.
- Sequence the steps in the most appropriate order. You can assume that all tasks are Finish to Start, meaning each task must finish, before the next task can start.
- From the sequenced steps, estimate the time for each step and calculate what dates the wedding will take place starting from today.
- Estimate how much the wedding will cost.
Peak LAN Project
Peak LAN Project Peak Systems is a small, information systems consulting firm located in Meridian, Louisiana. Peak has just been hired to design and install a local area network (LAN) for the city of Meridian’s social welfare agency. You are the manager for the project, which includes one Peak professional and two interns from a local university. You have just finished a preliminary scope statement for the project (see below).
You are now brainstorming potential risks associated with the project.
- Identify potential risks associated with this project. Try to come up with at least five different risks.
- Use a risk assessment form similar to Figure 7.6 to analyze identified risks.
- Develop a risk response matrix similar to Figure 7.8 to outline how you would deal with each of the risks.
Project Scope Statement
To design and install a local area network (LAN) within one month with a budget not to exceed $90,000 for the Meridian Social Service Agency.
- Twenty workstations and twenty laptop computers.
- Server with dual-core processors. • Two color laser printers.
- Windows 2008 R2 server and workstation operating system (Vista/Windows7).
- Four hours of introduction training for client’s personnel.
- Sixteen hours of training for client network administrator.
- Fully operational LAN system.
- Hardware January 22.
- Setting users’ priority and authorization January 26.
- In-house whole network test completed February 1.
- Client site test completed February 2.
- Training completed February 16.
- Workstations with 17-inch flat panel monitors, dual-core processors, 2 GB RAM, 8X DVD1RW, wireless card, Ethernet card, 80 GB hard drive.
- Laptops with 12-inch display monitor, dual-core processors, 2GB RAM, 8X DVD1RW, wireless card, Ethernet card, 60 GB hard drive and weigh less than 41 y2 lbs.
- Wireless network interface cards and Ethernet connections.
- System must support Windows Vista/Windows 7 platforms.
- System must provide secure external access for field workers.
Limits And Exclusions
- System maintenance and repair only up to one month after final inspection.
- Warranties transferred to client.
- Only responsible for installing software designated by the client two weeks before the start of the project.
- Client will be billed for additional training beyond that prescribed in the contract.
Director of the city of Meridian’s Social Service Agency
The expected times and variances for the project activities are given below. What is the probability of completing the project in 25 periods?
Why Projects Fail?
The information given in the following tables collates the responses to a poll conducted by the Standish Group.