GE General Electric Case Study Solution
General Electric Company operates as an infrastructure and financial services company worldwide. The company Power and Water segment offers gas, steam and aero derivative turbines, generators, combined cycle systems, controls, and related services; wind turbines and solar technology; and water treatment services and equipment. It’s Oil and Gas segment provides surface and subsea drilling and production systems, equipment for floating production platforms, compressors, turbines, turbo expanders, reactors, industrial power generation, and auxiliary equipment. The company’s Energy Management segments offers electrical distribution and control products, lighting and power panels, switchgears, and circuit breakers; engineering, inspection, mechanical, and emergency services; motors, drives, and control technologies; and plant automation, hardware, software, and embedded computing systems. Its Aviation segment offers jet engines, turboprop and turbo shaft engines, related replacement parts, and aerospace systems and equipment for military and commercial aircrafts; and maintenance, component repair, and overhaul services. The company’s Healthcare segment provides medical imaging and information technologies, medical diagnostics, and patient monitoring systems; and disease research, drug discovery, and remote diagnostic and repair services. Its Transportation segment offers freight and passenger locomotives, diesel engines for rail, marine and stationary power applications; railway signaling and communications systems; underground mining equipment; motorized drive systems; energy storage systems; and information technology solutions. Its Home and Business Solutions segment manufactures home appliances and lighting products. Its GE Capital segment offers commercial loans and leases, fleet management, financial programs, home loans, credit cards, personal loans, and other financial services. The company was founded in 1892 and is headquartered in Fairfield, Connecticut.
From Inspiration to Industry (1878 to 1904):
From the invention of the first practical incandescent light bulb to building America’s first Central Power Station, the GE tradition of life-changing innovations was underway. With power and light, GE provided the basis of modern life, quickly redefining everything from the length of the day to our knowledge of the human body through the development of the first X-ray machine
Historic Advancements (1905 t0 1980):
GE made history with the first voice radio broadcast, changing forever the speed of shared information. Meanwhile, GE’s spirit of invention produced the first of many modern conveniences with the first electric toaster and the first Hotpoint electric range. At the same time, work on vacuum tubes enabled the beginning of electronics, while work on resins brought us plastics in a wide variety of new forms.
Reaching New Heights:
Helping mankind expand its horizons, a plane equipped with a GE supercharger set a new altitude record of 40,800 feet. Back on the ground, GE built the world’s largest electrical installation at the Panama Canal, vastly improving shipping times. In the home, many daily foods were given a new lease on life with GE’s latest addition to the long line of household conveniences: the refrigerator.
A Decade of Firsts:
A number of GE innovations helped us see our world differently, from the first fluorescent lamp and “invisible glass” to the first television network, and radar which let us “see” twenty miles away, even at night! More GE firsts in aviation brought us the first U.S. turboprop, autopilot, and the first U.S. jet engine, while Howard Hughes set the record for transcontinental flight with an engine powered by GE.
Tapping Emerging Markets (up to 2000):
One hundred years after it began, GE extended its reach into new markets, online and around the world. In 1999, GE generated over $2 billion in electronic sales alone. India, home of many of the world’s brightest technologists, provided the site for a new GE Global Research Center. Meanwhile, the world of medicine saw radical changes thanks to new GE technologies in imaging and diagnostics.
Recent Developments (up to now):
The always inventive minds at GE continue to make discoveries with an ever greater variety of subjects and substances. For example GE scientists have used light, energy, and other resources to develop everything from the ideal carbon nanotube to information tools like holographic data storage, and new organic LEDs with a wide variety of applications.
Q.1 What is the condition of the firm in the last 12 months.
The firm in the last 12 months was in a good position here are some basic values which I have read out in the last period.
Creation of the web portal:
In the last days there was a web portal was invented that was working for searching out the opportunities for the business. It was handled by the managers to know about the current situations of the business. It was all about the findings about the policies and the environment of the business.
As there are increase in number of employees so there ware activities of the HR system too.
It was also increase from the last year so there was some shares which was not paid or may be the
Some other changes:
- Company has borrow some more by selling stock.
- There was lot of others things also happens here are they,
- Company has defines different types of the managers
- It sales has increase so it has create more market share.
- It has crate more dividends so it means it is in good financial situation.
- It has also increased its share price so it means there is more good well of firm is being assumed.
- It has borrowed more or there is increase in some of its liabilities.
Q.2 What can I do to increase the quality outside the firm?
Here are some following tips to increase the value of quality outside the firm.
- Quality can improve by creating constancy of purpose toward improvement of product and service and by developing a plan to be competitive and stay in business. Everyone in the organization, from top management to shop floor workers, should learn the new philosophy.
- Quality can be increase by obtaining 360 feed backs.
- It can be done by adopt the new philosophy. Commonly accepted levels of delays, mistakes, defective materials, and defective workmanship are now intolerable.
- It can be increase by producing good product.
- There should be Cease dependence on mass inspection. Instead, design and build in quality. The purpose of inspection is not to send the product for rework because it does not add value.
- It can be done by increasing productivity.
- It can create by creating good relationships.
- It can be created by CSR and by developing good environment around the company.
- It can be create by continuous increasing the features in the products
- The best supervisors are leaders and coaches, not dictators. Deming high-lighted the key role of supervisors who serve as a vital link between managers and workers. Supervisors first have to be trained in the quality management before they can communicate management’s commitment to quality improvement and serve as role models and leaders. So it will also helpful to for increasing the quality of the firm.
- The best way that I will chose I will do positive marketing some demanded means that will promote my goodwill so it will the key success for me.
- Break down barriers between area it will also support to increase the quality of organization. People should work cooperatively with mutual trust, respect, and appreciation for the needs of others in their work. Internal and external organizational barriers impede the flow of information, prevent entities from perceiving organizational goals, and foster the pursuit of sub unit goals that are not necessarily consistent with the organizational goals. Barriers between organizational levels and departments are internal barriers. External barriers are between the company and its suppliers, customers, investors, and community. Barriers can be eliminated through better communication, cross-functional teams, and changing attitudes and cultures.
- Create a structure in top management that will promote the previous thirteen points. It is the top management’s responsibility to create and maintain a structure it will repute good for the company.
Q.3 What are players A, B, C what are your thoughts about them?
In this company there is a big motive to survive good and to get maximum return by the market that will support the company to get maximum advantage by increasing the profit. Here are the details about the players as they are describes on the case study.
A category player is that person who has following characteristics
So it was determined that a person which having the abilities which are discussed above is acceptable in the organization but those who are lacking they should not b allow here and the HR has no issue to pay head on them they should just focus on the player A that that will give maximum return and they should b in the top 10 % of the company. So there should only they are accepted and they should pay back for that good work they should paid by cash or stock for their satisfactions or just to satisfy them.
Player B & C:
Those who fill not capable of the four qualities (vision, leadership, energy, courage) are fall in this capability. Firm’s rule is just to pull out them or not to pay head on them.
My prospects on this strategy:
I will agree with that technique that will help to pick those persons which are ready to give their A plus as this company requires this and there will another thing when company will take action against the B and C player them they will also try to focus on what they are lacking in them so I think that this is the best option to go for it.
Q. 4 Do I agree that the leaders have these three characteristics energy, energizing and edge.
If we talk about the today’s leaders so there are varieties of them which are having a countless characteristics so as there is mention that a good leader have only three characteristics so would like to say I’m not agree there are lot more for a leader to have in it here are some of them are discussed.
Proactive vs. Reactive:
The exceptional leader is always thinking three steps ahead. Working to master his/her own environment with the goal of avoiding problems before they arise.
How do you handle yourself in unexpected or uncomfortable situations? An effective leader will adapt to new surroundings and situations, doing his/her best to adjust.
A Good Communicator
As a leader, one must listen…a lot! You must be willing to work to understand the needs and desires of others. A good leader asks many questions, considers all options, and leads in the right direction.
Treating others with respect will ultimately earn respect.
Be sure of yourself with humble intentions.
Excitement is contagious. When a leader is motivated and excited about the cause people will be more inclined to follow.
Work to consider all options when making decisions. A strong leader will evaluate the input from all interested parties and work for the betterment of the whole.
An exceptional leader will recognize the efforts of others and reinforce those actions. We all enjoy being recognized for our actions!
Knowledge is power. Work to be well educated on community policies, procedures, organizational norms, etc. Further, your knowledge of issues and information will only increase your success in leading others.
Evaluation of events and programs is essential for an organization/group to improve and progress. An exceptional leader will constantly evaluate and change programs and policies that are not working.
Are you prepared for meetings, presentations, and events and confident that people around you are prepared and organized as well?
Confidence and respect cannot be attained without your leadership being consistent.
An exceptional leader realizes that he/she cannot accomplish everything on his own.
A leader should work to be the motivator, an initiator. He/she must be a key element in the planning and implementing of new ideas, programs, policies, events, etc.