Delhi University Case Study Solution
Delhi University Case Study Solution
Outline and discuss the push and pull factors behind the need for change at Delhi University (DU) through the introduction of the Four Year Undergraduate Programme (FYUP) (20 marks)
DU’s top academic body has adopted a four-year undergraduate programme (FYUP) which is going to be implemented from July 2013. The Academic Council, at a marathon meeting held sometime back, debated the proposal by a task force that was eventually passed with 80 votes in favor and 6 against. The Delhi University has formed a special taskforce, which includes 61 faculty members on the panel. This panel will help to develop courses for Delhi University’s four-year programme. As per Dinesh Singh, vice-chancellor, DU, nearly 61 teachers have been designated for this task to develop curriculum for these four-year degree courses, across university’s departments and disciplines.
The programme will entail a shift from the present 10+2+3 scheme to a four-year graduation with multiple exit points and freedom to complete remaining years later. The decision was described as “historic” repeatedly during the meeting, but the dissenting members argued that before a shift of this degree, a detailed study of courses run in four-year patterns in other institutions should have been conducted and teachers and experts consulted. The council also authorized the vice-chancellor to form committees for various subjects to prepare detailed courses for consideration by the panels. The dissenting teachers opposed this move, saying the procedure for preparing detailed courses is to hold general body meetings in which all teachers participate and course committees are formed consisting of specialized teachers.
The following explains as to how the FYUP will work in DU:
The four yr programme will stand spread across twins’ semesters annually, totaling eighth semesters upstairs 4 years.
There are eleven current foundation guides or a quantity about 26 interdisciplinary guides yet DC (20 Disciplinary Courses into Discipline 1 or six within Discipline 2) so much a student can pick out in accordance with education on the four-year period.
Choosing a major then minor
While within the ternary year programme, an undergraduate may want to only pick certain situation so a principal because of specialization, the instant four-year programme desire allow the scholar in conformity with pick out each a predominant and an infant problem because of specialization.
Under the ancient system, interior evaluation comprised 25 marks yet had iii components: ten marks for class test, 10 for work or 5 marks towards ordinary attendance.
Under the latter system, 15 marks pleasure remain assigned because of presentation, which could lie among the form concerning a project, then presentation in group.
- There were a number of issues and challenges associated with the change initiative undertaken at DU. Using appropriate theoretical frameworks:
- Discuss the forces ranged for and against the change initiative at DU. (15 marks)
Teachers agree with so the choice was once committed quickly. It is believed that the four-year programme is active to bear its personal devastating penalties over the after regarding higher Indian manage as like the skewed illustration from special departments hold broken after bust among consideration the instructional concerns of the teachers.
Teachers are clearly disassociating themselves beyond the committee where a range of choices are being made regarding the syllabi on whole the topics below the 4 year course. Across departments, the syllabi are existence framed between a shamefully restrained and repressed era frames by using a tiny wide variety concerning teachers. They themselves appear in conformity with lie careworn concerning the readability over the content regarding one-of-a-kind subjects.
Even the college students are unwilling according to learning an greater year so that functionate no longer want in accordance with extend a 12 months in imitation of succeed their greater study namely end result on high effort and aspirations for over speedy success. Also such is believed up to expectation on account that much exit options are animal furnished of this modern system, a giant pool concerning Associate Baccalaureates pleasure remain generated and that will not remain eligible sufficient for jobs in any discipline simply like a college dropout which intention adversely affect the employ of the youth. Therefore such looks so no count how much shortly this alternate is existence led out, it is possibly in conformity with propagate problems which wish eventually turn outdoors according to fulfill no feel of students’ lives afterward college specifically agreement it is not done properly.
Analyze the change readiness of DU as an organisation from the perspective of key stakeholders, which impacted on the success or failure of implementing change at DU. Why did stakeholders perceive change as a radical threat rather than embrace it as a natural opportunity for improvement? (20 marks)
There are a lot of people having the 3-year degree and getting jobs. Also, the fact that one has graduated from DU is itself a big thing as it carries a lot of weight later. It is beneficial for those students those who want to study in abroad as they need 16 years of schooling which the 10+2+4 system will provide which will further help the Indian students to meet the requirements of the international education system. More people will be competent for the jobs previously due to lack of awareness people were not educated up to the requirements. So we can say that it’s a remarkable step towards a bright future.
Discuss how the change initiative would have impacted on DU’s existing organizational culture and values. (15 marks)
Perhaps it would have a great impact i.e. a common culture of private 2 year graduate programs will have less opportunities in market. As the DU’s Four-Year Programme will become the talk about the town everywhere, that without a doubt generates a fascicle on opinions amongst the humans in particular the teachers. They are the ones whoever agree with as the complete task concerning altering the discipline sample within DU lies along them then hence, are loaded including the indebtedness in accordance with create a syllabus who would remain fabulous adequate for the four 12 months direction because anybody subject. This formidable programme will commence among July 2013. For the students such offers according to stay a bendy lesson system where the education sample intention remains complemented along sports activities or cultural things to do who among turn desire worship as a multi-disciplinary curriculum.
IMPORTANT COMPONENTS IN CHANGING THE CULTURE OF AN ORGANIZATION
Other components important in changing the culture of an organization are:
- Create value and belief statements – use employee focus groups, by department, to put the mission, vision, and values into words that state their impact on each employee’s job
- Practice effective communication – keeping all employees informed about the organizational culture change process ensures commitment and success. Telling employees what is expected of them is critical for effective organizational culture change
- Review organizational structure – changing the physical structure of the company to align it with the desired organizational culture may be necessary
- Redesign your approach to rewards and recognition – you will likely need to change the reward system to encourage the behaviors vital to the desired organizational culture
- Review all work systems – employee promotions, pay practices, performance management and employee selection to make sure they are aligned with the desired culture
There are four major steps involved in changing an organization’s culture:
- Before an organization can change its culture, it must first understand the current culture, or the way things are now.
- Once you understand your current organizational culture, your organization must then decide where it wants to go, define its strategic direction, and decide what the organizational culture should look like to support success. What vision does the organization have for its future and how must the culture change to support the accomplishment of that vision? Your management team needs to answer questions such as:
- What are the most important values you would like to see represented in your organizational culture?
- Are these values compatible with your current organizational culture? Do they exist now? If not, why not?
- However, knowing what the desired organizational culture looks like is not enough. Organizations must create plans to ensure that the desired organizational culture becomes a reality.
- Finally, the individuals in the organization must decide to change their behavior to create the desired organizational culture. This is the hardest step in culture change
- Critically evaluate the effectiveness with which Dr Singh approached the process of bringing about change in DU. In retrospect, are there any remedial factors such as managing stakeholders differently or changing aspects of his leadership style that would have helped Dr Singh achieve a different outcome? Justify your answers using appropriate theories. (30 marks)
Surely the FYUP is an formidable programme however together with so deep instructors towards the new system, one fails after advise how many it initiative pleasure work. Even the Delhi University Teachers Association (DUTA) has been protesting in opposition to the system. They also commenced a “Save the DU” campaign or additionally employ above an internet site named ‘www.4yrdu.com’ criticizing the recent law including an easy agenda so the students yet mother and father ought to understand as the DU used to be current in conformity with become.
Every desire has its professionals or cons yet the selection makers between DU have decided after forget about then deep regarding the cons after convey forth a modern then bendy regulation as choice interestingly run up DU according to international standards. However there are people anybody have wish of it recent regulation or agree with so much this is a quarter advanced of the study system concerning universities. But in reality considering as whether quickly this alternate is life committed yet how much many troubles it desire leave in the back of does now not appear like a good decision, specially condition that is now not celebrated properly.
It is favored via the humans so much that have sure features who are appealing in contrast to the ternary 12 months quantity had provided. DU FYUP is a recent path structure as is designed to consign students extra day to breathe through theirs guides as indicates away the signal of independence which the college students intention bear beside this impending year. This is innate into the declaration on vice-chancellor Dinesh Singh: “FYUP pleasure carry a cease in conformity with entire the academic woes.”
It offers a less difficult path in conformity with the students in conformity with perfect theirs studies namely through theirs wish. They are unrestricted according to depart both since twain years yet iii years then IV years. It appears so much the road the DU is working outdoors its bendy system, no scholar choice stand last returned into the semester categorical of the quantity about topics the pupil handed in.
DU FYUP choice fulfills assured as there is greater focus concerning sensible research or trip as a substitute than theory. The dictation is beneficial because of these anybody necessity in accordance with suffice in imitation of overseas namely that demands sixteen years over discipline as is 10+2+4.This desire definitely help the Indian college students in accordance with joint the necessities about the worldwide instruction system