Different colors of roses in the garden.
- Domain: Eukaryota
- Kingdom: Plantae
- Order: Rosales
- Family: Rosaceae
- Subfamily: Rosoideae
Roses are best known as ornamental plants grown for their flowers in the garden and sometimes indoors.
- They have been also used for commercial perfumery and commercial cut flower crops
- Some are used as landscape plants, for hedging and for other utilitarian purposes such as game cover and slope stabilization. They also have minor medicinal uses.
- Rose petals or flower buds are sometimes used to flavor ordinary tea, or combined with other herbs to make herbal teas.
- Rose perfumes are made from rose oil (also called attar of roses), which is a mixture of volatile essential oils obtained by steam distilling the crushed petals of roses. An associated product is rose water which is used for cooking, cosmetics, medicine and religious practices.
- Many roses have been used in herbal and folk medicines.
- Roses are a favored subject in art and appear in portraits, illustrations, on stamps, as ornaments or as architectural elements.
- Rose flowers are used as food, also usually as flavoring or to add their scent to food.